Skip to content

Charleston Ghost Stories

The six stories this city actually tells, each one twice: the legend as you'll hear it after dark, and what the record shows.

Written by Alex H., a Charleston local Updated August 2026

In short: Charleston's best ghost stories are better than the ghost-tour versions, because the history underneath them is real. Lavinia Fisher really hanged in 1820, Dr. Ladd really died after a duel in 1786, and Poe really spent 13 months on Sullivan's Island. Below, each story gets the record first, then the legend, clearly marked. If you want to stand where they happened, our haunted places guide covers the sites.

Lavinia Fisher and the Six Mile House

The record shows this. In February 1819, after a string of highway robberies on the road out of the peninsula, a citizen posse rode up Charleston Neck and cleared out two rough wayside taverns, Five Mile House and Six Mile House. The man they left behind as watchman, David Ross, swore in an affidavit that the gang came back and beat him, and that Lavinia Fisher choked him and put his head through a windowpane. Hours later a traveler named John Peeples reported being robbed at Six Mile House. The sheriff arrested John and Lavinia Fisher and several associates, and the couple was convicted of highway robbery, a capital crime in South Carolina at the time.

They spent nearly a year in the district jail on Magazine Street, the building now toured as the Old City Jail. A September 1819 escape failed when the rope lowering John from a window broke. On February 18, 1820, both were hanged before a large crowd. John professed his innocence to the end. Lavinia raged, screamed at the crowd to rescue her, and, by the accounts that made her famous, went to the rope defiant.

The story goes much further: that she charmed lone travelers over supper, sent them to bed with oleander-poisoned tea, and dropped them through a trapdoor into a spiked pit, making her America's first female serial killer. That she hanged in her wedding dress and shouted, "If you have a message for the devil, give it to me, I'll carry it myself." The record supports almost none of it. The Fishers were never convicted of murder, no victim was ever identified, and two sets of remains found near the property were never tied to them. Bruce Orr, who wrote a book on the case, lands about here: greedy and violent, probably; murderers, not proven. The legend adds that Lavinia never left the jail, which is why it anchors half the ghost tours in the city.

The Gentleman Ghost of 20 South Battery

The record shows a mansion built in 1843 by Samuel Stevens facing White Point Garden, passed through generations of owners, carved into apartments for a stretch of the 20th century, then run by the Drayton Hastie family from the 1980s as the Battery Carriage House Inn. After a renovation it reopened in 2020 under its address, 20 South Battery, and it still takes overnight guests.

The story goes that Room 10 has a second occupant. Guests describe a gray silhouette of a man, average height, unhurried, who appears at night and sometimes stretches out on the bed beside them. He never speaks and never threatens; women who woke to find him there have described him as oddly polite, and he fades when challenged. The usual identification, and it is only a guess, is a young man who died by suicide in the building during its apartment years, still keeping gentleman's hours.

Room 8 is the other story, and it is not polite. Its apparition is a headless torso, barrel-chested, in rough homespun cloth, that appears beside the bed. In the most-told account, a skeptical guest in 1993 reached out to touch it and pulled his hand back when the thing growled. The guess here is a Civil War soldier, since the Battery bristled with artillery and accidents, but no name has ever been attached to him. The inn leaned into all of it for years, collecting guests' written accounts rather than denying them.

The Whistling Doctor of Philadelphia Alley

The record shows that Dr. Joseph Brown Ladd, a 19-year-old physician and poet from Rhode Island, arrived in Charleston in October 1783 with introductions arranged through General Nathanael Greene. He boarded with the Rose sisters at 59 Church Street, built a practice, published verse, and was known up and down the neighborhood for whistling as he walked his rounds. In 1786 he fell out with a friend, Ralph Isaacs, in a quarrel that began at the theater over an actress's performance and curdled into a newspaper feud. Isaacs published a letter calling Ladd "as blasted a scoundrel as ever disgraced humanity." That kind of insult, in that decade, ended one way.

They met on October 23, 1786. Ladd fired wide, apparently trusting his old friend to do the same. Isaacs took aim and shot him in the kneecap. Ladd was carried back to the Rose sisters' house on Church Street, where he suffered ten days before dying of gangrene and blood loss on November 2, at 22.

The story goes that the duel was fought in Philadelphia Alley, the narrow cobbled cut between Church and State streets that old Charlestonians call Dueler's Alley, and that Ladd's cheerful whistle still carries down it at dusk, and up the stairs at 59 Church Street. Honesty requires a footnote here. Grahame Long, the Charleston Museum's former curator, researched the city's duels and found no documentation that any was fought in the alley; the Post and Courier places Ladd's more probably at what is now the College of Charleston's Cistern Yard or Hampton Park. The duel was real, the whistling was real, and the address is the legend.

Sue Howard Hardy at St. Philip's

The record shows a grief. On June 10, 1888, Sue Howard Hardy, wife of Gaston Hardy, delivered a stillborn child. Six days later she died too, and mother and baby were buried in the western churchyard of St. Philip's on Church Street.

Ninety-nine years later, on June 10, 1987, an amateur photographer named Harry Reynolds was trying out a camera at St. Philip's and shot a few frames through the bars of the locked churchyard gate. When the film came back, one frame showed something he had not seen through the viewfinder: a shawled, translucent figure bent low over the Hardy grave, in the posture of a woman mourning. Reynolds only learned afterward whose grave it was, and that he had taken the picture on the anniversary of the stillbirth to the day.

The story goes that Kodak examined the negative and found no double exposure and no tampering; that claim travels with the photo everywhere and has never been independently documented. St. Philip's itself does not promote any of this, and posted signage in the churchyard asks visitors to treat it as the active burial ground it is. However you read the photograph, it is the gentlest famous ghost story in Charleston, a mother still tending a grave. Go respectfully or not at all.

The Boo Hag

This one is not a tourist tale. The boo hag belongs to the living folklore of the Gullah Geechee people, descendants of enslaved West and Central Africans who have held onto their language and traditions on the Lowcountry sea islands for three centuries. In the tradition, a boo hag is a spirit with no skin of its own. By day she passes among the living wearing a stolen one. At night she sheds it, slips into houses through any crack or keyhole, and settles onto a sleeper's chest to "ride" him, drawing the breath out of his lungs. Wake up exhausted for no reason and you were ridden. The old goodnight on the islands says it plainly: don't let de hag ride ya.

The defenses are specific. A broom by the bed or a sieve at the window works because a hag is compulsive; she must stop and count every bristle or hole, and dawn catches her before she finishes. Salt burns her. And blue paint turns her away, because a haint, the Gullah word for a restless spirit, cannot cross water, and a water-colored threshold reads as water.

That last belief is why porch ceilings, shutters, and door frames all over Charleston wear a pale sky-blue called haint blue, a pigment tradition traced back to the indigo the enslaved were forced to grow and process on Lowcountry plantations. Painters here still mix it, and most of the tourists photographing those blue ceilings have no idea they are looking at folklore doing its quiet work.

Poe on Sullivan's Island

The record shows that on May 26, 1827, an 18-year-old Edgar Allan Poe, broke and estranged from his foster father, enlisted in the U.S. Army in Boston under the name Edgar A. Perry, claiming to be 22. His unit, Battery H of the First Artillery, shipped south that fall and arrived in Charleston on November 18, 1827. Poe spent the next 13 months at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island as a company clerk, was promoted to artificer with his pay doubled to ten dollars a month, and sailed for Fortress Monroe on December 11, 1828. The island stayed with him. He set "The Gold-Bug," his 1843 treasure-hunt story and one of the most widely read tales of his lifetime, on Sullivan's Island, describing its sand, marsh, and sweet myrtle from memory. The island returned the favor. Its streets include Poe Avenue and Goldbug Avenue, and the branch library is named for him.

The story goes, and this part is legend, that "Annabel Lee" is about a Charleston girl. In the telling, a young woman, often named as Anna Ravenel, loved a sailor stationed at Fort Moultrie against her father's wishes. They met secretly among the graves of the Unitarian churchyard until her father caught them and locked her away, the sailor was transferred, and she died of yellow fever. Her father then had several graves dug and filled in the churchyard and left hers unmarked, so her lover could never mourn at the right one. A woman in white is said to walk there still.

The record is blunter. Poe left Charleston in 1828; "Annabel Lee" appeared in 1849, just after his death, and the National Park Service, like most Poe scholars, points to his wife Virginia, who died in 1847, as the likely maiden. No Ravenel record backs the tale. It persists anyway, because the Unitarian churchyard at dusk looks exactly like the poem feels.

Hear them where they happened

Every story above has an address, and most sit within a few blocks of each other. Our haunted places in Charleston guide covers visiting the sites on your own. To get the stories told out loud in the dark, a walking tour is the right delivery mechanism: the 90-minute ghost and graveyard walking tour (rated 4.6 from 77 reviews) gets you inside a burial ground after hours, and the ghost tours hub compares every option, including carriage and pub versions. If you can choose your season, October in Charleston is when the city leans all the way into this material.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Charleston's most famous ghost story?

Lavinia Fisher, hanged on February 18, 1820. Legend calls her America's first female serial killer, poisoning guests at the Six Mile House. The record shows she and her husband were convicted of highway robbery, not murder, and no victim was ever identified. Her ghost is said to haunt the Old City Jail.

What is a boo hag?

In the folklore of the Gullah Geechee people, a boo hag is a skinless spirit that slips into houses at night and rides sleepers, stealing their breath. Salt, brooms, and haint blue paint are the traditional defenses. The goodnight warning is 'don't let de hag ride ya.'

Did Edgar Allan Poe live in Charleston?

Yes, for 13 months. He enlisted under the name Edgar A. Perry and served at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island from November 1827 to December 1828. He later set The Gold-Bug there. The claim that Annabel Lee is about a Charleston girl is legend, not record.

Why are porch ceilings in Charleston painted blue?

The color is called haint blue, from the Gullah Geechee tradition that restless spirits, or haints, cannot cross water. A soft water-blue on ceilings, doors, and shutters turns them away. The pigment is linked to the indigo once grown on Lowcountry plantations, and painters here still use it.

More of haunted Charleston