Haunted Places in Charleston
Ten real sites behind the city's ghost stories, from the Old City Jail to White Point Garden, with the legend and the historical record separated for each.
Written by Alex H., a Charleston local Updated August 2026
In short: the Old City Jail is the scariest and needs a tour to get inside. Philadelphia Alley, White Point Garden, and two famous graveyards are free. Poogan's Porch feeds you while it haunts you, and the Provost Dungeon works in daylight. Every site below is real, and each entry tells you what the record actually supports.
Ask any guide for the most haunted place in Charleston and the answer is usually the Old City Jail, the 1802 fortress on Magazine Street where the Lavinia Fisher legend was born. Charleston has more ghost lore per block than any American city, and it came by it honestly: repeated fires, a Union bombardment from August 1863 to the evacuation in February 1865, the 1886 earthquake, yellow fever summers, and 300 years of burying its dead downtown.
Each of the ten below gets the story as guides tell it and then what the record shows, because in Charleston the true parts are usually stranger than the invented ones. Longer versions live on our Charleston ghost stories page, and the ghost tours at the bottom walk most of these sites after dark.
The 10 most haunted places in Charleston
1. The Old City Jail
The legend: Lavinia Fisher, America's first female serial killer, ran the Six Mile Wayfarer House north of town with her husband John, poisoned lone travelers' tea, dropped the bodies through a trapdoor, and went to the gallows in her wedding dress shouting that anyone with a message for the devil should hand it over, because she would deliver it personally.
The record: the Fishers were convicted of highway robbery, a capital crime in 1819, and no murder was ever attributed to them. Retired Charleston detective Bruce Orr worked through the court records and found no trapdoor, no poisoned tea, no cellar of skeletons. Lavinia spent nearly a year in this jail and was hanged on February 18, 1820, near present-day Line and Meeting streets, wearing the plain white shift prisoners wore and protesting her innocence to the end.
The building needs no embellishment. It held prisoners from 1802 to 1939, including soldiers of the 54th Massachusetts captured at Fort Wagner in 1863, and its tower came down after the 1886 earthquake cracked it. A 15 million dollar renovation turned the upper floors into offices; the ground-floor cells survive.
Visit it: night tours only, run by Bulldog Tours, about 45 dollars for adults as of 2026. Our Old City Jail guide has the full history.
2. Battery Carriage House Inn (20 South Battery)
The mansion at 20 South Battery was built in 1843 for broker Samuel N. Stevens and remodeled in Second Empire style after the Civil War. It has taken guests since 1970, first as the Battery Carriage House Inn and now as 20 South Battery.
Two rooms carry the lore. In Room 10, the Gentleman Ghost, a courteous gray figure in period dress, is said to slide into bed beside guests and leave promptly when they object. Room 8 is worse: a headless, limbless torso that appears beside the bed breathing raspily. The most quoted account comes from a self-described skeptic who woke to it in 1993 and made the mistake of reaching out to touch it. Staff have guessed at a Confederate soldier killed in an ammunition blast during the 1865 evacuation.
For years the inn published guests' written accounts on its own website, which is why this small property outranks every big hotel on Charleston's haunted lists. The current owners' site skips the ghosts entirely.
Visit it: a working bed and breakfast facing White Point Garden. Light sleepers may want to avoid requesting Room 8.
3. Poogan's Porch
The restaurant at 72 Queen Street is named for a dog. When the 1891 Victorian house became a restaurant in 1976, a neighborhood porch dog named Poogan came with the property, greeted the first customers, and stayed until he died in 1979. His grave is in the front yard.
The ghost is Zoe St. Amand, a schoolteacher born in 1879 who lived in the house with her sister Elizabeth. After Elizabeth's death, Zoe's health and mind failed, and she died at St. Francis Hospital in 1954. The sightings are specific: an old woman in a long black dress waving from a second-floor window late at night, usually spotted by guests at the Mills House hotel up the block, who sometimes call their front desk about her. The restaurant tells the story itself. Zoe and her dates are documented; what she does after closing time is the part you take on faith.
Visit it: dinner reservations are easy midweek. Say hello to Poogan's headstone on the way in.
4. Dock Street Theatre
The playhouse that opened here on February 12, 1736, is Charleston's claim to the first building in America erected solely for theatre (Williamsburg disputes it). What you see now went up around 1809 as the Planter's Hotel; the WPA rebuilt it as a city theatre that reopened in 1937, and a 19 million dollar renovation finished in 2010.
Its two ghosts split the eras. Nettie Dickerson, in the version told in Edward Macy and Julian Buxton's book The Ghosts of Charleston, made her money in the hotel's less respectable trade and was struck by lightning on the second-floor balcony in 1843. She is said to pace that level still, walking at the old height because the 1930s rebuild raised the floors. No independent record of Nettie exists. Junius Brutus Booth, the great tragedian and father of John Wilkes Booth, genuinely was a Planter's Hotel regular; the legend declines to let him check out, keeping his ghost in a box seat near stage right.
Visit it: 135 Church Street. Buy a ticket to a Charleston Stage production or a Spoleto Festival performance and the haunted balcony comes free.
5. St. Philip's Church graveyard
Charleston's most famous piece of ghost evidence is a photograph. Around 11 p.m. on June 10, 1987, a local man named Harry Reynolds finished a roll of film he was testing by shooting through the locked gate of St. Philip's western graveyard. One frame came back showing what looks like a shrouded woman kneeling over a grave. The rest showed nothing unusual.
The grave belonged to Sue Howard Hardy, who delivered a stillborn child on June 10, 1888, and died six days later. The photograph was taken 99 years to the day after the stillbirth. Retellings add that Kodak examined the negative and found no defect, a detail that travels with the story and can't be checked now. The coincidence of dates is what keeps this one alive.
The graveyard is worth a daylight visit anyway. The current church went up in 1836, the steeple by 1850, and the yards hold John C. Calhoun, Edward Rutledge, and DuBose Heyward.
Visit it: free during daytime hours on Church Street. After dark you'll be looking through the same wrought-iron gate Reynolds did.
6. Unitarian Church cemetery
The Unitarian Church on Archdale Street was begun in 1772, occupied by troops during the Revolution, and finished in 1787. Its cemetery is kept deliberately overgrown, a 19th-century garden-cemetery idea the congregation never abandoned, with paths winding through waist-high flowers and vines. It is the most beautiful graveyard in the city and the one with the most famous legend.
The story: Edgar Allan Poe, who really did serve thirteen months at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island from November 1827 (enlisted under the name Edgar A. Perry), loved a Charleston girl whose father disapproved. When she died, the father buried her here unmarked, in some versions digging six graves to confuse her suitor. She became Annabel Lee, and her ghost drifts among the headstones looking for her own grave.
The record: the poem appeared in 1849, two decades after Poe left Charleston, most scholars read his wife Virginia into it, and no trace of the girl (sometimes named Anna Ravenel in the telling) appears anywhere. It is legend, full stop. Enjoy it anyway.
Visit it: free, gates at 4 Archdale Street, open most days until late afternoon.
7. Philadelphia Alley
Philadelphia Alley is a block-long brick canyon running from Queen Street to Cumberland Street. Laid out in the 1760s and called Cow Alley for years, it was renamed in 1811 and picked up the nickname Dueler's Alley for the quarrels gentlemen settled there. Its ghost is Dr. Joseph Brown Ladd, a young Rhode Island physician who boarded at 59 Church Street and whistled his way around town, which is why Charleston remembers him as the Whistling Doctor.
Ladd's falling-out with a former friend, Ralph Isaacs, escalated through insults printed in the Charleston papers until the two met with pistols in October 1786. Ladd fired wide on purpose. Isaacs didn't, and Ladd died of his wounds on November 2, 1786, at age 22. The duel is documented; the whistling people report at dusk is the legend, and as hauntings go it is a gentle one.
Visit it: free and open around the clock, best after the gas lamps come on. More in our Philadelphia Alley guide.
8. The Provost Dungeon
The Old Exchange at 122 East Bay Street was finished around 1771. When Charleston fell to the British in May 1780, the army turned its brick-vaulted cellar into a military prison, the Provost, and packed it with captured soldiers and uncooperative citizens. Isaac Hayne, the militia colonel the British hanged in 1781, spent his last night in this building with his coffin in the room.
Visitors report cold spots on hot days and shadow figures between the brick arches. One correction to the usual telling: pirates were never held in this cellar, since the building went up five decades after Charleston's 1718 pirate trials. What the dungeon does have is an exposed stretch of the Half-Moon Battery, the city's 1690s seawall, under its floor.
Visit it: open daily (9 to 5 Monday through Saturday, 11 to 5 Sunday), 16 dollars for adults and 12 for kids 7 to 12 as of 2026, with 25-minute dungeon tours every half hour; details at oldexchange.org. After dark, the ghost and dungeon walking tour is the only way down. Our Provost Dungeon guide covers the rest.
9. White Point Garden
The prettiest park in Charleston is a mass execution site. In the autumn of 1718, after the colony broke the pirate threat on its coast, 29 members of Stede Bonnet's crew were hanged at White Point on November 8, 19 of Richard Worley's crew followed weeks later, and Bonnet himself, the Gentleman Pirate who had bought his ship like a respectable planter, went to the gallows on December 10. Roughly 49 men in a month.
The bodies were buried below the low-water mark in marsh that was later filled, which means some of them lie under the park where kids now climb on Civil War cannons. A stone marker among the oaks records the hangings. Figures dangling in the trees at night are standard ghost-walk material; the 49 hangings are plain fact.
Visit it: free public park at the tip of the peninsula, East Battery at Murray Boulevard, open all hours.
10. The Powder Magazine
The oldest public building in the Carolinas is a squat, tile-roofed gunpowder store from 1713, built when Charleston was still a walled town, with thick walls meant to send any accidental blast upward instead of outward. The Colonial Dames have run it as a museum for over a century.
Its ghost file is the thinnest of the ten, and it is only fair to say so: the sound of barrels rolling across empty rooms, and in the favorite version, the pirate Anne Bonny peeking out from behind the exhibits. Bonny really was raised on her father's plantation outside Charleston, which is presumably how she got the part. Go for the building and treat any pirate sightings as a bonus.
Visit it: 79 Cumberland Street, Monday to Saturday 10 to 4 and Sunday 1 to 4, 6 dollars for adults and 4 for children as of 2026; see powdermagazinemuseum.org.
Seeing them all: tours and timing
Eight of these ten sites sit within a few blocks of the French Quarter, and the two on the Battery are a 15-minute walk south, which is why Charleston's ghost tours work: a guide covers most of this list in one evening loop. The 90-minute ghost and graveyard walking tour (rated 4.6 from 77 reviews) includes after-dark access to a locked graveyard, the one thing on this page you cannot do on your own. The ghost and dungeon version (4.2, 273 reviews) ends underground in the Provost instead. Our ghost tours guide compares every option, and the boozier grown-ups-only routes are in our adults-only ghost tours guide.
If you can pick your season, come in October: cooler nights, extra departures, and the city at its moodiest. Tours that month sell out a week or two ahead, and our Charleston in October guide covers what fills up first.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the most haunted place in Charleston?
The Old City Jail at 21 Magazine Street, by broad agreement. It held prisoners from 1802 to 1939, including Lavinia Fisher of Charleston's most famous legend, and its cells open only on guided night tours. The Provost Dungeon and the Unitarian Church cemetery round out most locals' top three.
Can you visit the Old City Jail without a tour?
No. After a 15 million dollar renovation the upper floors are private offices, and the historic ground floor opens only for Bulldog Tours' nighttime jail tours, about 45 dollars for adults as of 2026. You can walk up to the exterior on Magazine Street any time for free.
Is Charleston really haunted?
No city can prove its ghosts, but none has better raw material. Charleston survived repeated fires, yellow fever, a Union bombardment from August 1863 to February 1865, and the 1886 earthquake, and it has buried its dead downtown for over 300 years. The ghost stories grew out of documented events.
Which haunted places in Charleston are free?
Philadelphia Alley, White Point Garden, and both famous graveyards (St. Philip's and the Unitarian cemetery) cost nothing during open hours. The Powder Magazine is 6 dollars, the Old Exchange 16, and the Old City Jail requires a paid tour. Poogan's Porch just asks that you order dinner.
Are Charleston's graveyards open at night?
No. Church graveyard gates generally lock by late afternoon. The only legitimate way inside one after dark is a walking tour with graveyard access, which is exactly what the ghost-and-graveyard tours sell. Hopping a fence is trespassing, and Charleston takes its graveyards seriously.
Is the Battery Carriage House Inn still open?
Yes, under the name 20 South Battery. The 1843 mansion has taken guests since 1970 and still does, including in Rooms 8 and 10, the two attached to its ghost stories. The current owners' website doesn't mention the hauntings, so ask when you book.